NFL
Scores
Schedules
Standings
Statistics
Transactions
Injuries
Players
Message Board
NFL en español
FEATURES
NFL Draft
Photo gallery
Power Rankings
NFL Insider
CLUBHOUSE


ESPN MALL
TeamStore
ESPN Auctions
SPORT SECTIONS
Wednesday, November 6
Updated: November 8, 9:29 PM ET
 
Source: Dolphins may try to pursue Aikman

ESPN.com news services

The Miami Dolphins indirectly contacted Troy Aikman to determine his interest in becoming their starting quarterback until Jay Fiedler returns, a team source told ESPN's Ed Werder.

Fiedler is currently sidelined with a fractured thumb. He likely will be out another three weeks.

Aikman's agent, Leigh Steinberg, said that "if it were a permanent starting job on a team with Super Bowl possibilities, then I think Troy would be intrigued."

Steinberg said he has not been contacted by the Dolphins personally, but he conceded he is aware of the third-party contact.

"Troy did tell me he got a call from an unrelated third party, (but) nothing has ever come from them (the Dolphins), and we assume they are not interested,'' Steinberg told the Miami Herald.

When they asked about Aikman, the Dolphins were concerned about the health of backup quarterback Ray Lucas, who injured his shoulder in Monday night's loss to the Packers. When it was determined that Lucas would not need surgery and might be able to play Sunday night against the New York Jets -- his former team -- the Dolphins decided not to pursue Aikman. Lucas took about half the snaps in practice on Wednesday, and a decision will be made Friday whether he will start against the Jets.

According to the source, the Dolphins might resume the effort to get Aikman, depending on how Lucas performs against the Jets if he plays. In his two starts, Lucas is winless and the Dolphins have committed 10 turnovers while scoring just 20 points during that span.

There is concern the Dolphins could be jeopardizing their chances of winning the division by continuing to struggle without Fiedler.

Aikman, who could not be reached for comment, has not played since he retired from the Cowboys following the 2000 season. He has suffered nine concussions during his career and also has had back problems. Aikman, 35, currently works as an NFL analyst for Fox.

Aikman previously said that he would be interested in returning to the NFL only if he could be reunited with Dolphins offensive coordinator Norv Turner. At the time he was forced to retire because of his injuries and the Cowboys' salary cap problems, Aikman believed he was still capable of performing as one of the top five quarterbacks in the league.

Aikman lives in Dallas with his wife and three children.




 More from ESPN...
Lucas takes half the snaps during Dolphins' practice
Miami Dolphins quarterback ...

Favre keeps Pack at top with win over Miami
Brett Favre didn't seem ...


AUDIO/VIDEO
Video
 Out of the Box
The NFL 2Night crew ponders a potential Troy Aikman comeback.
Standard | Cable Modem

 ESPN Tools
Email story
 
Most sent
 
Print story
 
Daily email